The Musée des Abenakis will reopen to visitors on July 13 with a new general director ; Mrs. Julie Anne Tremblay.
The Musée des Abénakis announces its reopening on February 11, 2021!
- Thursday – Friday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday – Sunday: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Monday – Tuesday – Wednesday: closed
- The exhibitions Wôban-Aki, people of the rising sun as well as Tolakonutome; she tells a story can be visited during the opening hours of the institution.
- The Kiz8bak Boutique is also open Thursday through Sunday, according to the same opening hours as the Museum.
- The Tolba trail is accessible! Put on your snowshoes and walk this trail, along which you will be guided by interpretive panels outlining the medicinal plants and wildlife present in the woodlot.
- Please note that the following services are not offered: guided tour [Museum guide are however available to answer your questions], school and group visits [if all goes well, this type of visit could be available in April], lunching area and Aw8ssisak educational space.
Prepare your visit
- Since its previous reopening, the Musée des Abénakis has applied the necessary measures to make visits as pleasant and safe as possible. Respecting the recommendations of the Public Health Department and those developed by the museum community, the Museum has implemented the following measures :
- Public spaces and common surfaces are cleaned frequently.
- Hand sanitizing is mandatorybefore entering the Museum, as well as the Boutique. Disinfecting stations are also installed throughout the Museum;
- A limited number of visitors are admitted at the same time in the Museum, as well as in each exhibition hall, to ensure that the required distancing is respected.
- Electronic payment methods are highly recommended;
- Masks are mandatory for employees and for all visitors;
- Visitors must also follow the designated one-way route through the Museum;
- All our employees have been informed of the recommended protective measures in order to provide a safe and pleasant visitor experience.
Founded in 1965 by community members and missionary Rémi Dolan, the Musée des Abénakis is the first Aboriginal museum institution in Quebec. Located in the former Catholic school of Odanak, on the banks of the Saint-François River, the Museum invites you to discover the cultural richness of the Abenaki First Nation. The Museum invites you to visit permanent and temporary exhibitions with an Aboriginal theme and to participate in cultural and educational discovery activities.
On November 21, the sixteenth edition of the GalArt, an annual event for the recognition of cultural stakeholders, was held. It is with great pride that the Musée des Abénakis was awarded the “Heritage and Museology Award” for its temporary exhibition The Indian Beyond Hollywood.
From June 21 to September 21, a special event will draw the attention of the community and the general public. Christine Sioui-Wawanoloath, an Abenaki multidisciplinary artist, will lead the creation of a collaborative work that will take place through the participation of Museum visitors. This artistic achievement, evocative of the contemporary Abenaki culture, will inspire and nourish the creative team of the permanent exhibition.
More than 100 friends and partners of the Musée des Abénakis gathered on March 21 to participate in the most recent edition of its annual fundraising cocktail. Thanks to the presence of guests and the generous contribution of 25 sponsors, the Musée des Abénakis is delighted to announce that the amount raised is close to $29,000.
Discover our permanent and temporary exhibitions.
Wôbanaki, people of the rising sun, invites you to discover the cultural and spiritual universe of the Abenaki First Nation through the four seasons.
The Museum offers the following services:
The Museum offers rental spaces for people looking for a space to receive guests or colleagues.
The Museum's boutique offers a wide selection of items and articles with an Indigenous flavour.
The Museum offers you reproductions of images from our archives.
November 1st — May 31st
Tuesday to Friday: 10 am to 5 pm
Saturday and Sunday: 11 am to 5 pm
From December 24th to January 2nd
June 1st – October 31st
Every day: 10 am to 5 pm
2020 Benefit-Event Partners
108 Waban-Aki, Odanak, Qc, J0G 1H0
Feel free to contact us for any questions or reservations.